Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Percy's Picnic

For anyone that does not yet know,  my brother is a writer.  A witty, brilliant writer.  He's also a bum.  A very happy and well adjusted bum, mind you...but make no mistake about it...he's a Le through and through.  While he was born with the literary talents, he is unable to draw a decent rendering to save his life.  (His stick men however, are commendable).  I on the other hand, through years and years of training in scientific academia, can write a logical thesis like nobody's business which is all fine and well, but there are very few people with the fortitude to endure one of my dissertations.    


We have (had) grand visions of collaborating on the greatest children's book ever created.  It was to be epic, dazzling, a melding of two genius creative minds for a toddler masterpiece, that serendipitously, whose audience would not have the verbal aptitude or manual dexterity to criticize our work.  Didn't I say it was genius...save for one factor.  My brother is a bum and I, in all fairness, a quasi-bum.  


Fearing a chicken or egg scenario that would ultimately thwart our plans to conquer the world one alphabet book at a time, I began some preliminary character development.  Granted, I didn't entirely conceive these characters from scratch as they, by happenstance, were referenced as some of this week's sketch subjects (previously mentioned in my last posting).  Still it's something to take a squirrel, a meerkat, some lavender, some other kind of reddish flower and weave a compelling story around one delightfully whimsical illustration of the combination.   Admittedly, 'delightful' might be tooting my own horn but given the choices (lemur, llama, orangutan...dog), I think Percy came out alright.    


Introducing Percival S., the squirrel.  He's British by the way.  Imagine him with a cute squeaky little British accent.    Click to see larger version.

1 comment:

  1. Jolly Good Stuff! Truly - I think the Le siblings joining forces for the benefit of toddlers everywhere is a grand idea - and one that should move from the drawing board to reality sooner than later (my own little pun, there). BTW, how abut "Percy T. Squirrel" for the little guys moniker?

    ReplyDelete