Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

M. _ Water Garden & Cockerel - Weekly Sketch

This week's sketch is a 'two for the price of one'.  I frequent a pretty neat art forum that has some awesome artist (mostly traditional) and some not so awesome ones.  Some days I'm humbled while one other days I get a nice ego boost.  It's a learning opportunity either way.   They have daily, weekly, monthly events/challenges that I've begun to participate in.  It lets me hone my skills, paint subjects I usually wouldn't consider and lets me explore beyond my comfort zone.  I also like the help and suggestions available from other professionals.


This week's references were irresistible to me for their sheer potential.  I chose these two because well...I've never drawn either ever before and felt it would be a challenge to paint them in watercolor.  Boy, was it ever.  Watercolor is a beast that takes some planning.  While there is some measure for corrections, you can't simply paint over as you would acrylic or oils.  Still - I'm having a blast even if I'm not entirely pleased with the results.  Would like more contrast and I probably need to expand my color palette as it feels a little dull.  What do you expect for the bargain deal price of 2 weeklies for the price of one!


Almost forgot!  There is an easy challenge attached to this one.  First person to tell me the location (city) of the subjects in the paintings gets a print of my next piece (not going to say what it is just yet though).  Bonne chance!


Watercolor on Paper, 5"x8"


Watercolor on Paper, 5"x 8"

2 comments:

  1. Giverny, France

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like "l'all"e centrale du clos normand " at claude's monnet house in Giverny (france)

    ReplyDelete