Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pooh Bear

It's not through any planning on my part and I'm not sure why but I think I've drawn more dogs than any other subjects.  I'm in good company because I read once that canines are the 5th most common painting subject sold.  People either love their dogs or they love their children and in my case...these people love their dog children.

This is Pooh.  She showed up on the doorsteps of my in-laws one stormy day as a young pup and quickly became their surrogate child.  She is very loved so I thought that her parents would appreciate a painting.

On another note - I am very impressed with Daniel Smith's original line of watercolors, especially the quinacridones.  I will not do a full review since they are very popular and one can find reviews quite readily on the web but  I am now using the brand exclusively.  This painting is the first time I've had the opportunity to try out some new hues including french ultramarine, cobalt violet, cobalt violet deep quinacridone burnt orange (replacing burnt sienna), and quinacridone gold (replacing yellow ochre)...the latter two more transparent than the earth pigments.  Can't wait for another free shipping promo to order some more triads I've been hankering for.

Watercolor on Paper, 4"x6"

Pooh, framed

*Please excuse the bad iphone photo.  I forgot to snap a picture so had to do so on the fly after the gift was unwrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment