Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ampersand Aquabord

I had some Ampersand Aquabord that I purchased a while back lying around so I broke it out as a support for my Aunt Tran's painting.  I don't think Aquaboard is much different from the previously labeled Claybord, also by Ampersand.  That is...it is a hardboard coated with a thin layer of clay on one side.  It sounded promising enough - a durable watercolor support that didn't have to be protected behind glass, can mounted like canvas and able to withstand rigorous working over.  Alas, I was very disappointed.


Perhaps it was an inexperience with the material and the expectation that it would behave like watercolor paper (such as the promo described) but I was thoroughly frustrated with it.  Instead of absorbing the paint, washes merely laid on top of the board until dried.  This made washes nearly impossible for me.  Color gradations would run into each other and create a dirty mess.


Grazes (a staple for me) were out of the question as each successive layer attempt would just lift the color below it.  Pigments are more opaque on this support and does not dry to the intended delicate transparent hues.  The texture is grainy much like coarse sand paper thus lacking the usual watercolor paper finish.  This affected how granulating colors settled or not. The only positive thing I found is that colors tend to be bright and saturated if not overworked since they sit atop the support.


Overall, a disappointing trial.  I am not encouraged to continue with this product since I spent so much time working and reworking the art, never achieving a satisfactory finish.  One should probably consider that this negative impression is in relation to my style and technique.  I worked on a small canvas, no doubt affecting how much material I could put down and control.  A larger support would have been easier and probably resulted more favorably.  Also, I can see how Aquabord would complement gouache much better than watercolor.  Finally this support encourages bold purposeful movement and color.  It appears detrimental to be tentative or uncommitted.


Despite all that I've mentioned...I have seen some beautiful paintings by other artists painted on Aquaboard but even they admit their frustrations with it.  This makes me sad since I very much wanted a great painting of a much beloved Candie and was excited to be using some wonderful violets and gold on her.  It doesn't help that I forgot to get a decent scan either.  I will ultimately have to do a do-over on Candie.

Watercolor on Aquaboard, 5"x7"

Aquabord

No comments:

Post a Comment